Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Label Whores

Makeup whores, lipstick whores, label whores are commonly used terms coined in the makeup community to. "Label whores" is a  highly controversial topic in the makeup community. Why? Because some makeup artists think that high end products are most times incomparable to low end products and that the quality of high end products is worth the investment no matter the cost, literary-the cost. As a makeup lover, I love makeup of all brands, cost, and quality. I really believe that the brand of makeup one uses is about 40% of a flawlessly makeup application. I say 40% because a person's technique alone can make a significant difference in makeup application. Furthermore, the quality of a person's brushes contributes greatly to a successful makeup application. I know many of you are familiar with the E.L.F makeup company. When I started out doing makeup, I mainly used elf products especially their brushes. I needed  brushes that would blend my makeup seamlessly and effortlessly. I still would use a lot of my elf products, but I upgraded to better quality brushes that suites by skills and intermediate level of makeup. So for me, it is not solely the brand of makeup. In fact, 80% of my makeup collection is drug store and online makeup such as bh cosmetics and coastal scents.

I asked other  makeup lovers their thoughts about "label whores" and an outpour of responses were discussed. Surprisingly, many of the makeup lovers contended that label whores confine their skills by  limiting their makeup collection to high end products. While MAC is a very popular brand of makeup, some believed that MAC like other high end products are comparable to lots of low end products especially in terms of quality. Wetnwild is a very popular makeup brand that has lots of makeup dupes and the quality is unmatched considering that it is a drugstore line of makeup. To drive this point home, Beatfacehoney recently recreated Rihanna's makeup look and guess what she used to recreate the look??? A Covergirl shadow palette!!! While some were in absolute awe, I was snapping in Z formation because I know the power honey in drugstore makeup. Another one of my makeup lovers mentioned that she has seen women spend their bill money honey for a $25.00  lipstick. Yes, you read that right, bill money. I have one word for that, INSANE! If I wasn't a couponer, I would be a Dupewhore. There are so many comparable dupes for high end makeup, especially lipsticks, eyeshadows, and foundations. Another makeup lover asserted that he purchased a high end lipstick that was $37, but the quality was almost the same as most brands. One can take from this makeup artist feedback that sometimes to say the least we BUY into the label and not the quality. Labels are only that- a label. Often times, we buy into certain labels thinking our makeup will look just as good as our favorite youtube guru. Oh, here is a good one. When Banana powder hit the stores, everyone was raving I tell ya about how its a must have and your highlight girl will be amazeballs. I guess this is where I tell you all that I did order the banana powder in one of the most popular shades.  I felt so silly because I did not know how to apply it and it was to light for my skin tone. Furthermore, I could have simply went to the beauty supply store and purchased a less expensive product in the RIGHT shade, yet good quality by Ruby Kisses. This is not a bash for label whores, but to simply say this...you can achieve a beautiful flawless finish without spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars. If you are indeed a makeup lover, I am almost confident that he or she can work with any makeup, high-end or low-end. 

Label whores seemingly place a great deal of security and validity in their "high-end" products when the security should be in their technique and uniqueness of their craft. Labels are undoubtedly associated with "high" expectations as shown with the $37 lipstick, even high end products quality is sometimes unparalleled to low-end products. 


2 comments:

  1. Great blogging! A lot of MUA's justify their prices with high end products being in their kit... Yet have a z-palette full of deported DS brand or hot pots from BH or CS.... to each his own....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL depotted hot pots!!!!!!!!! That is so true! There is no shame in my game. I love their hot pots. I think it comes down to exactly what you said "to each is own". Thanks for commenting sis. I am so giddy right now

      Delete